Here's a picture of the devil machine that tried to kill me.
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Can see the finish line!
So I after I got home from teaching English in China I started working at IGA in Fort Macleod. I was trained in the Deli department to slice meats and cheeses and make all the party trays and salads. It was a stressful job for me because my supervisor was a real battleaxe and the only way to accomplish anything was her way. so frustrating. Anyways, one afternoon I was just finishing slicing the specialty cheeses and needed to clean the slicer. I was taking the guards off the blade and one of the screws was stuck but I finally got the guards off and put them in the sink. I continued to try and get the screw to come loose and of course with all my force my hand slipped and I punched the blade of the slicer and cut 3 of my fingers on my left hand to the bone. I immediately grabbed my hand and applied pressure. One of my co-workers asked if she could look at it to see if I needed medical attention and I wouldn't let go. She finally got me to let her take a look and there was blood everywhere...not a good idea to let go! So I was rushed to the local ER to get my fingers looked at. When I got to the hospital they got me all situated in one of the little curtained off areas and then wanted me to let them look at my hand again...I was very reluctant to let go...my blood is a precious commodity. They decided I had to soak my hand in iodine before they could get a good look at the wound because the slicer had not been clean when it tried to eat me. Anyways that hurt like Hades and I almost passed out...almost. They had to lie me down and put me on oxygen. My hand had started throbbing at this point and I was sure that I was never going to see my little fingers again. The Dr. came back after a bit to check on me and finally got a good look at my fingers. He determined that they could be saved and I could even for go stitches and use glue to seal the cuts closed because the slicer did such a straight clean cut. So I got my fingers glued back on and had to wear my hand strapped to this board-type thing to make sure they didn't curl up and heal weird. When I finally got to leave the hospital I went back to work to get my stuff and pick up my car. I was just pulling up to my house when I looked up and saw my Mom riding her bike towards me with the reddest face I have ever seen. Apparently one of the girls from work had called my house to check on me and told my Mom what had happened (made it sound like I was dying) and so my Mom hopped on her bike and rode to the hospital to make sure I was okay. By the time she got there I had already been released and was back at work...she wasn't very happy with me. Sorry Mom. I was off of work for about 10 days after "the accident" and after that I refused to work in the deli anymore. It turned out pretty good if you ask me because I was transferred to the bakery department which I loved and learned how to decorate cakes. I now have two visible scars and one hidden right in the knuckle. and my pinky on mt left hand often feels like it's just coming back from being asleep and tingles. It's weird. Good story eh!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That Devil machine tried to kill me too!! I was trying to be all nice to the battleaxe that you reffered to, and clean the slicer for her at the end of the day...when she had already told me I could go home and she would finish...BUT NO, me being the nice person I am decided to clean that stupid thing for her, and my hand sliped and I cut my thumb open...not exactly as bad as your poor hand, but that's not really what I wanted as a reward for my generosity.
ReplyDelete