The above oil painting is of Venice, Italy. I have never been there...lol but I was in Rome with my Mom on my 25th birthday and saw this painting in Piazza Novona. I just had to buy it. Luckily it was able to be rolled up and fit nicely in my suitcase for the flight home. I got it stretched and framed once we were back home. I love it and it's hanging in my dining room where I can see it everyday and be reminded that where you live is not where you must stay. There is a big world out there and I fully intend on seeing more of it.
The above picture is a Chinese paper cutting. I was very fortunate to be able to teach English in Beijing, China for 4 months. I loved the teaching and experiencing this beautiful culture. The Panjiayuan (Dirt) Market was only open on Saturdays and it was amazing!!! I loved going there to battle back and forth with the different vendors for whatever they may be selling and to pick up some seriously phenomenal pieces to bring home with me. I found the paper cutting at a small booth along the north wall of the market. I walked into the store and I was instantly amazed at the detail and craftsmanship of all the beautiful works of art there. I loved the intricacy of the pattern on her dress. I couldn't help myself and had to buy it. I think it cost me about $20 Canadian and it was worth every penny. It's the one thing that hangs in my home that reminds me of my adventures teaching overseas and all of the crazy experiences I had there.
p.s. the huge shiny circle is not a part of the cutting but the reflection of my flash in the glass of the frame I have it in...I tried a gazillion times to take it without it but it just never worked well. If you want to see the real thing you'll just have to come and visit!!
This last painting is one of my favorites. It's called "The Singing Butler". I love the romance it portrays and the grace of the dancing. It seems so spontaneous and enchanting. I also love the vibrant red dress and how it grabs your attention from the rest of the painting. I do not currently own this painting but someday I hope to be able to find it and be able to afford it once I do!



"The Singing Butler" is a favorite of mine too! I have a print of it in our dining room with two of his other works. Love them!
ReplyDelete