Monday, October 24, 2011

Family History

Matt and I have been working hard over the past few months to type up my Grandpa Hartley's personal history.  He hand wrote about 60 pages of his life.  It's been a big job but it's been so interesting to me to see the types of things that my Grandpa remembered and made note of through out his life.  There are lots of stories about the ranch and farming which is what my grandpa loves to do.  That, and serve in the Church.    I've also really enjoyed getting to know my Grandpa better and to work with him to accomplish this goal of his.  I'm not sure if my Grandpa kept any kind of journal and used it as a reference for things to include but if that is the case I'm in pretty deep trouble! lol My Hartley grandparents gave me a small journal as a gift for my baptism when I was eight years old...I filled the last page just before I left on my mission at 23.  Either I have a super uneventful life or I am a slacker and should of written more often (I think it's a little of both).  It's made me reflect on what I would include in my own history if/when I actually sit down to write it.  What's worth remembering and what's better to forget?  Maybe I should start to compile memories now and work towards a finished product by the time I'm 85.  Or I could get on the ball and catch up to the present and then try to be more diligent in capturing all of the memories and experiences of our family from here on out.  Maybe I'll try to remember some of the things from when I was a kid and growing up in Orton and see if my memory matches that of my siblings...now that could be interesting!!!  It's a challenge and an experiment! 

2 comments:

  1. or you can just keep blogging frequently and arrange each year to have your blog printed into a book as a record for your family :) I haven't tried printing mine out but I need to as I no longer write in my journal but on the blog instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) this is a goooooooood post.

    ReplyDelete