Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Finding time...

I know that I said that I wanted to blog more...and I do!  I promise.  But it just seems that I have even less time lately than ever.  Maitland is in full destroy mode lately and is going to town on anything he can reach and a few things he can't.

Anyways I thought I would get back to my list of questions to answer.  I'm going to skip a couple though.  They are too lame and not all that interesting.  What I will do is share a few stories from when I was in High School and going through that lovely stage of life! :)
  • What is your favorite color?  I'm surprised Oprah even printed this question...really? that's the best you can come up with as a conversation starter...I'm skipping it.

  • What is most memorable about your high school years?
 So I have a few stories from High School that I am brave enough to share.  This first one happened in the fall of 1997 when I was a senior and co-captain of the varsity volleyball team.  I was super bummed because I was the only senior on the team that year and it was lonely for me but I loved the game so much that I wouldn't quit just because my friends didn't make the team.  Anyways...on to the story.  We were at a tournament in Lethbridge with the boys team as well and we had some down time between games to kill so we talked the coaches into taking us to the mall.  Excellent, I thought. Little did I know that one of my most embarrassing moments was about to happen.  As I was walking down the corridor with some of my teammates I happened to look down at my feet and I saw a shiny new loonie (Dollar coin for anyone not from Canada) just laying on the floor so of course I bent down to pick it up.  I was so excited! Free money!!  Except when I tried to get it off the floor it was stuck.  How does a coin get stuck to marble floors I asked myself...so I kind of kicked it with the toe of my shoe and still it didn't budge.  That's when I started hearing the low rumble of laughter and giggles.  I looked up and the senior boys from my school had all stepped out into the hall and were pointing and laughing at me.  Apparently they thought the best use of their time would be to glue a loonie to the floor and see how hard people would try to pick it up.  I happened to be the first person to try.  Seriously.  I was mortified and so embarrassed.  I looked like a fool and all in front of the boys that I so wanted to impress and "be cool" in front of.  One of them even commented that he knew that I would be the one to try and pick up the dollar.  Seriously.  I was super embarrassed and didn't quite know what to do next.  I got made fun of a lot for that one for the rest of the volleyball season.  Good times!

Another story...When I was in Grade 12 I had opted out of playing basketball.  I didn't find it super enjoyable even though I was skilled and was generally one of the starting lineup.  I wasn't good friends with any of the other players and I was insecure.  I regret now not sticking to my guns and playing even though my coach and I didn't get along and I had no friends that played...but it worked out pretty well for me! :)  Since I wasn't playing basketball that year the gym teacher asked me if I would be willing to coach the Grade 8 girls team as they were having a hard time finding someone.  I thought that was a great idea and sounded much better than doing nothing at all for the season.  It was a good learning experience and I loved those girls and we had a great time!  For some reason that year the NBA (and I mean the real one...you know like Michael Jordan NBA) was sponsoring some sort of sportsmanship awards for the season and each High School got to nominate a Senior girl and boy player for the award and a local coach.  I was nominated and won that award for my school.  I wasn't even paying attention in the assembly where they announced the winners because I thought it didn't pertain to me seeing as I didn't even play on the Senior team that year.  One of my friends had to tell me that they had called my name.  It gets better.  After I won the award for my school I was also entered into a nation wide contest and was selected as the national winner for sportsmanship in coaching! hahahaha seriously!  I thought I was in huge trouble when my teacher came to get me out of class and made me go to the office and I had to sit in the conference room by myself and wait...and then the principle and a few other teachers informed me that I had won the national award too and I was going to Vancouver to accept the award at a Grizzles game and it was expenses paid trip!  Woot Woot!!  Just to be clear I am not sharing this story to toot my own horn because I really didn't do anything amazing and I am pretty sure it was a random draw that my name was picked out of a hat for the big trip but it was still dang cool and something I will always remember about High School.  My Mom and I got to fly to Vancouver and got put up in a swanky hotel and had court-side seats to the game.  I also go invited onto the court at half time and was awarded a huge plaque. It was a great trip.  And made my decision to skip playing ball that year a little less painful.

I think that's enough about high school for now.  I actually have a hard time remembering much else that's worth sharing.  It has been a few years since high school... 1998 seems like forever ago!

2 comments:

  1. I for sure have to get your autograph next time I see you!!!! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Loved hearing all those stories! Dang you were impressive!

    ReplyDelete