So the last week has not been fun at all at our house. Maitland has been puking and had a terrible wheezing cough. I finally broke down last night and decided to get him to a Dr. When we walked into the ER and spoke to the nurse she looked at us like we were dumb. In fact I got the distinct impression that she wanted us to just turn around and go home. I was not impressed. I am not the kind of person that runs to the Dr for every little thing but when I think something is wrong or more than just the flu I am of the mind that we have healthcare for a reason and I am going to take advantage of it. I am glad that I listened to my intuition and took Maitland in. I also think that no matter what your medical training is when someone comes to see a Dr it is our right to get to see one and be checked by them. When she listened to his chest and breathing it was very labored. She seemed a little more concerned at that point. And when she called the Dr he put Maitland on an inhaler right away to open up his chest and help him to breath. Maitland did not like this mask thing that he had to wear for about 5 minutes and pretty much screamed the whole time. It was sad and hard to watch as a Mom. Once the inhalant was done she listened again and there was very little change. Not too good. It wasn't long after that that Dr. Smith arrived to look at Maitland (who had finally fallen asleep as luck would have it). It was good though because he could listen really well to his lungs without Maitland trying to steal his stethoscope. He said that his left lung was worse than his right but that he definitely had an infection and he was debating admitting him to the hospital until his breathing got better. He decided that it would be better for Maitland to be at home and to take the medication for the infection and use an inhaler to help with the cough. If he doesn't improve or gets worse in the next 48 hours we are to take him right back to the ER and they will admit him at that point. Hopefully the medicine will work quickly and we can have a healthy happy boy for the holidays. It is so scary to have a baby that can't tell you what is wrong and yet you know that something is not right. I'm glad that I didn't let the nurse bully Matt and I into turning around and taking Maitland back home without seeing the Dr. I think it's wrong that she even insinuated that option. We drove a half and hour to the hospital for a reason. I also like to think that I am not a complete idiot and in my own mind I would way rather always be safe than sorry when it comes to my kids. Maitland seems to be pretty happy at the moment (tylenol must be working right now) so I hope tonight he can get some good sleep and fight off the infection. It's been a rough four or five days and I cannot wait for Matt to have days off so that he can help me and I just might be able to get everything done that I need to before Christmas...we'll see about that.

Here's a picture of my sweet boy in one of his happy moments from the other day.
He's been trying to get to the tree so we had to put up a barrier so that he'll leave it alone.
get better Maitland :)
ReplyDelete