Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Quilting Christmas

I don't know why I do this to myself but I do it all the time.  When we first moved up to Kitscoty I thought that I would have tons of free time and would need something to keep me busy.  So I got the idea into my head that I would put a quilt together for my Mom for Christmas.  So on my birthday I had nothing to do because Matt was working and we really didn't know anyone up here at that point and so Maitland and I hopped in the car and went on a little road trip of our own.  I drove to every quilt store I could find between Lloyd and Vegreville.  I just couldn't find any fabric that seemed to fit the vision I had for the quilt I wanted to make for my Mom.  I finally stopped at this amazing store in Vegreville and spent the next hour in heaven!  They were having a sweet sale so most of the fabric was marked down to $10/m or less which is awesome for the quality quilting fabrics I love.  I searched high an low and in the over 3000 bolts of fabric I finally found the perfect feature fabric to start compiling the quilt top.  It took a lot of trial and error and trying about a billion different combinations until I was finally satisfied.  Maitland was so great and just layed on the floor on his blanket and cooed and played the whole time!  What a sweet boy!  So I purchased the fabric and off we went.  I figured that I could get the quilt done by the beginning of October with no problem at all.  This turned out to not be the case.  I ended up traveling south back to Lethbridge several times over the summer and fall which ate up most of my free time.  I had put my name on a list at the Manville quilt shop to get my Mom's quilt quilted and on a sunny fall afternoon at the end of October I got a phone call from them.  My deadline was fast approaching to get the quilt done in time to have it for Christmas.  I hadn't even started it at this point. Opps.  So I decided on  Matt's next days off I was going to be a quilting machine! 

 
This is the pattern I decided to use.
This is the main block of the quilt.  One down and only 29 more to go!

First two rows sewn together.  Those little green squares are more work than I thought but totally worth it!!
All of the rows sewn together and checking for size on my bed.
Finally got the top done.  Added the purple outside border and we are ready to send it for quilting.
 I finally got the top done a week after I started it and was able to drop it off on time.  The ladies at the Manville shop were amazing and had the quilt all done and ready for me to pick up within 5 days!  It worked out perfectly because we ended up heading south for Matt's grandpa's funeral so we took the quilt with us and I finished it at my sisters so that I didn't have to worry about mailing it home.

Got the quilt back and it looks gorgeous!!!!
Got the quilt all trimmed up and ready for the binding to be put on.
Binding added to the quilt.  I was really angry at myself that I didn't have enough fabric to bind it in the purple.  But I think it turned out just fine by adding the blue binding.
Quilt finally all done and ready to wrap up for my Mom.

 It definitely took me a lot of time and effort to make the quilt but I am so glad that I did and love the end result.  I love my Mom so much and she has done so much for me and my brothers and sisters that I can never repay her.  Every stitch and piece of fabric that was added to this quilt was done with a heart full of love and gratitude for an amazing woman that I am so blessed to be able to call Mom.  Merry Christmas Mom!!!  We love you and hope that you love the quilt.


2 comments:

  1. wow Kristi amazing job, I hope to meet your mom one day, she sounds like an amazing women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks amazing! You did a great job, and I'm sure your mom loves it

    ReplyDelete